Re: Fw: Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

On 6 January 2012 19:57, amjjawad HOOHAA <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went through the whole thread (37 emails so far) and noticed very simple
> thing that I already have noticed long time ago (I know what most of you
> will say) which is: we do NOT have accurate database of Lubuntu Users in
> general and those who are "still" using OLD machines and I mean VERY old
> here.
>
> I like such kind of discussion and I tend to agree with some opinions and
> disagree with others but after all, this is very healthy activity
> (discussion) but ... as always ... the real question is: isn't it pointless
> to discuss such thing without REAL figures? some guys already pointed that
> out, I guess.
>
> Long story short, my simple and humble opinion is: we need a group of people
> who do a survey to obtain such figures. No, I have no smart ideas of HOWTO
> do that but if we could discuss about this, that would be VERY helpful.
> Perhaps we are wasting our time here and there are only 2-3 users with such
> old machines? for me, Lubuntu 10.04 didn't work on this:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614 while Mint LXDE 9 did. Both
> may be using the same kernel but I'm not really sure why Lubuntu didn't
> work. Also, perhaps they are many users that will be affected with that
> drop? so we need some figures.
>
> Just a thought I'd like to share with all, as usual :)
>
> Thanks!

Yeah it's been put forward as an idea before but again, without an
accurate way to get the information the straw poll we're conducting
here is just as valid as an online survey because this is essentially
an online survey.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris