Re: lubuntu powerpc desktop 20120928 SUCCESS

On 10/01/2012 09:31 PM, ∅ wrote:

>> Meanwhile, if anyone has successfully got a 12.10 GUI Lubuntu
>> working on PPC (G4) with an nVidia video card, please let me know
>> the secret :)

> Johnathan, I see that you've got a nVidia chip. This is exciting
> because most of the Lubuntu PPC team are using Radeon-equipped
> machines.

> That being said, I encourage you to check out this bug if
> you haven't: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1043518

Well, until today I was not seeing those weird patterns.  I just never
got any kind of X display at all, just text mode.  Working ttys on
Alt-F1 to Alt-F6, and a couple of "starting" messages from services on
Alt-F7, where I would expect X to show up in a perfect world :)

Now you know why I started testing the PPC server ISO instead of the
Lubuntu one!

But today, using the 20121001 PPC live CD image, booting with

  live nomodeset

I get a "colorful" 8bit pseudocolor live session using the fbdevhw
driver.  Without the nomodeset, I don't see any X at all.

Unless this is also happening to others with more recent/conventional
nVidia hardware, I'd guess that nouveau is just not coded to recognize
and use these old mobile nVidia cards?

> It sounds like you have the symptoms. We'd like to know how it goes
> for you, especially if it works. Please make a comment there with the
> results, and make sure to include your card info (lspci | grep VGA).

0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M
[GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)

I should post Xorg.0.log, but I thought someone said a fix was known and
already in place for this issue... ?  If the fix is in 20121001, then it
isn't working for me yet :)

Jonathan