Re: lubuntu powerpc desktop 20120928 SUCCESS

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:49:43 -0700
Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/01/2012 09:31 PM, ∅ wrote:

> > Johnathan, I see that you've got a nVidia chip. This is exciting
> > because most of the Lubuntu PPC team are using Radeon-equipped
> > machines.
> > That being said, I encourage you to check out this bug if
> > you haven't: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1043518

> Well, until today I was not seeing those weird patterns.

Read my comment on that bug and you see the same behavior as you saw: nomodeset gets you to a barely functional X and otherwise you get nowhere.

> Unless this is also happening to others with more recent/conventional
> nVidia hardware, I'd guess that nouveau is just not coded to recognize
> and use these old mobile nVidia cards?
> 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M
> [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)

This is the same card I have, so it's not surprising we have the same problem. However, another person reports the problem with a GeForce 9800 GT. So it's not just us.

> I should post Xorg.0.log, but I thought someone said a fix was known and
> already in place for this issue... ?

The fix was supposedly in place as early as 20120928. You can see this on that bug, too.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance in weighing in your experiences on this bug, whether positive or negative, and providing as much data as you can. If we can't get nVidia cards fixed, this may sink PPC for this release.

wxl