Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/04/2013 04:44 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> mörgæs has described old hardware, where Lubuntu is a good choice: which
> CPUs, how much memory, which applications etc. See the opening post in
> the following thread at the Ubuntu Forums: "Old hardware"

> I agree with most of that description, and I think we all agree that
> Lubuntu also works well with newer hardware. There is a low limit, where
> it is possible to run the OS, but not use the computer to browse the
> internet in a convenient way.
>
> First I felt it was a good idea to make a Lubuntu Core iso, but after
> thinking about this issue, I would say rather few people will really
> benefit from a lighter version, not so much because of Lubuntu, but
> because of the design of the web pages and the necessary complexity and
> size of the web browsers to manage those web pages.
>
> And those few people, or should I say enthusiasts, can easily make
> Lubuntu Core or other ultra-light flavours from the mini.iso. They, or
> should I say many of us, would even prefer to make our own flavour from
> the mini.iso or hop to another distro for that purpose ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

I think that's a much more realistic assessment of hardware support than
what our documentation says here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

Should our wiki pages be edited?

Lets not jump to a conclusion w/o some actual thought ;^)

As I said in a previous response - do we want to be a Puppy or Damn
Small clone, or do we want to be the lightest possible *ubuntu flavor?

My old PII box is now being relegated to a plastic bag in the garage
because it's just no longer useful. And I'm tired of tripping over it :^)

Lance