Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta

On 2013-09-22 17:54, JM wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 00:49:05 +0200
> nio wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If it is an IBM Thinkpad T30, you have a Pentium M CPU which probably has
>> pae capability but no pae flag. The saucy kernels need pae. Is this link
>> describing your computer?
>>
>> http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-58227
>>
>> Then you cannot boot directly from the iso files, but need fake-PAE
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE
>>
>> Best regards/Nio
>
> Hi,
>
> It is a "Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80 Ghz" and it does have the pae flag in
> the flags list.
>
> The page you point to is in maintenance. You can see my model here:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Mobile_Pentium_4-M#Available_Types_and_ThinkPads_featuring_them
>
> It's the one with an ATI Mobility 7500 GPU. (and there are two T30 distinct types which
> should both have the same cpu flags I'd suppose).
>
> A thought: this "thinkwiki" should be a better source of information than the Lenovo
> website as the old IBM models where not yet belonging to Lenovo company ?
>
> BTW I am happy to be aware about the fake-PAE ppa, that might be convenient at some times
> (installing it into a persistant USB bootable stick, for instance, if USB Creator still
> works with Saucy?)
>
> I'll try to install from CD first, then will see how it goes when usb creator is at work.
>
> Regards,
> Mélodie

Hi,

It certainly makes things easier for you, that your CPU has the PAE flag :-)

usb-creator-gtk is a little tricky right now, but if I let it wipe the
drive, it can create a working persistent drive (even if there is
sometimes a segfault). If you have problems, usb-creator-kde or
unetbootin may work better.