Re: Bug tracker for MariaDB

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Ingo wrote:
Just to ask a stupid question first: It seems to me at the moment we
*are* using bugs.launchpad.net/maria as the only bugtracker, aren't
we?

Yes, at the moment we are only using launchpad, however we only have 7 bugs there total.
<snip>
I kind of agree with Monty. I hadn't looked at the launchpad system
this closely before, but it kind of looks like an Apple/Gnome app.
Nice graphics, but minimalistic in functionality :-) It is good if a
tool enforces procedure, which actually the MySQL bug system was good
at: The bug is not just "assigned" to someone, but there is a
reviewer, test lead, documenting, etc... *and* the person actually
fixing the bug. Same for the Status messages

That being said, we should always strive to
 - not reinvent wheel, including not host things ourselves if we don't have to.
 - use popular tools rather than less well known or home-made (Eventum
is used for MySQL, but Bugzilla, Trac etc are generally more popular
so if we enhance them, there is a larger community that benefits.)
 - listen to community input, which seems quite unanimous in this thread

Eventum isn't as widely used as Bugzilla or Trac but it does have many users. It also is quite popular in the MySQL community (Percona and OpenQuery use it for support).

Imho this is a perfect opportunity to engage in some deeper dialogue
here before committing to a non-launchpad solution:

Bryan: You are actually working on this, right? Could you spend 15-30
minutes on a rough requirements list - for *any* bug tracker, starting
from what Monty mentioned:

 - categories needed (we probably don't need a set of categories, but
the ability to define our own, right?)
 - status categories needed
 - fields needed, including "roles" more then "Assigned to"
 - general workflow that must be supported and possibly *enforced* by the tool
 - pingback to bugs.mysql.com (which launchpad *does* have!)

I am happy to come up with a list except I really don't have a grasp on what we need, I was trying to get this data from maria-developers@ which is what prompted this thread. The developers need to let me know what is important to them and I can compile the requirements.

We (bryan, kurt) should then at least ask Canonical for a comment on
our feedback before giving up on them.

Finally, if a non-launchpad solution is needed, we should very briefly
evaluate and explain (to me) the feasibility of Bugzilla and Trac. As
for Trac I have friends in Spain and they use it not only as bug
tracker, but also project management including planning, tracking and
reporting of hours on customer and government funded projects. I
personally wouldn't mind if we ended up using Trac.

I do agree that we should evaluate multiple options but if we go with a non-launchpad solution I lean heavily towards Eventum simple because we can shape it any way we want.

Best Regards,
--
Bryan Alsdorf, Lead Web Developer
Monty Program, AB. http://askmonty.org