Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm

On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:33 AM, femorandeira <femorandeira@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They gave a number of possible reasons that might explain their
> results. For instance, navigation is more consistent than searching:
> you have to remember the location of the item, as opposed to
> remembering one of the possible multiple ways of searching for it.
> Navigation is also based on recognition and is assisted by the use of
> spatial clues that help the user reach the desired goal step by step.
> Of course, the "location" of a file is not a real characteristic but
> it seems a natural metaphor because if mimics what happens in the real
> world.

That's a great point. However, we have to remember that, in the real world, we remember where something is by it's relation to other things. Not only do we think "in that room" but we also think "next to that desk." To return to the computing world, we should not only know where a file is with respect to which folder it's in, but also what it's related to.

Imagine how your mind keeps track of information. At least mine doesn't keep all information in separate boxes, but rather accessing information through connections and relations.

It is in this regard that navigation alone is a subpar method.

The optimal solution is one where the user can set relations to files, that is, group them. For example, one of my essays is very closely related to the pictures that go along with it. To find the essay, I should be able to select the project I'm working on, and see all the files that are related to it. Or, if I'm editing the paper, I should be able to quickly move from the paper to the pictures.

Basically, I propose allowing the user to create abstract items (tags, groupings, projects, call them what you like) and relate their physical items (files that have content) to them. This system could be used the same way folders are used today, but it allows for a more flexible, human way of organizing.