Re: Proposal to improve communication and make more efficient the inclusion of new branches.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Yannick Vaucher <
yannick.vaucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a look on the trace from runbot on ocb branches.
>
> I'm afraid the issue is still there.
>
> It seems the module survey was creating the error.
>
> Here is a bug report to investigate it:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ocb-addons/+bug/1244584
>
> @Raphael does your builds on Travis install all modules as well? I guess
> it is green because it isn't trying to install survey module right?

Yes, I didn't test the survey module indeed. I don't really like the
internal and the code of the survey module, but eventually I will add it to
the modules we test.

@Fabien,

using Travis is not really splitting the effort. In fact more test is
better than not enough test.
Thanks to these Travis tooling, we also have Continuous Integration tests
for OOOR, OOOREST and AKTOOOR for instance:
https://travis-ci.org/akretion/ooor
https://travis-ci.org/akretion/ooorest
<goog_672279608>
https://travis-ci.org/akretion/aktooor
That wouldn't be possible with Runbot until we convince you Ruby and Rails
are worth a look (I will soon tell more about the project I'm working on, I
think it's the larger website managed by OpenERP (well it has a SolR cache
for anonymous browsing, but OpenERP holds all the database and logic, in
fact several OpenERP instances to make it scale to the size it has, stay
tuned).

Honestly people here know that they are dozens and dozens of branch that
asked inclusion into the core and were never even analysed. We often wait 3
or 4 months to get just trivial things merged...

It's not a critic, it's normal that you have limited resources. We all have
limited resources. And IMHO it's better to have limited resources and relay
on free open source community work than trying to inflate your resource and
depend on mysterious anonymous venture capital. But that's another story...

Also, remember the contact issue? 30 of the best OpenERP people were
advocating for another solution but you didn't change your mind, tough you
fixed a few bugs with 2500 lines of patch. So, I think people should not
get the illusion that we will all agree on everything and that OpenERP SA
will have the resource to analyse every suggestion.
In the meantime, our work is pretty hard and we might not necessarily
afford not having our solutions included in the mainstream.

In fact, it's pretty normal to have diversity in open source projects. Just
like you have several Linux distributions, several tools for the jobs,
diversity and a competition of solutions is great.
Despite that, projects like OCA have the purpose of building convergent
solutions no matter the resource OpenERP SA can dedicate or not. So you
see, it's a balance of diversity and convergence projects. I see no issue
here. And if it's about trade-off, I prefer having a bug in the survey
module than having the accounting bugs we have left in the "official"
branch.

That being said, kudos of the POS initiative. I think it's smart idea, lead
by a good OpenERP engineer (Nisolas VanHoren), with the right ignition
capital for an open source project. So it's just great; I know I don't say
it so often ;-)

Regards.