Re: Proposal to improve communication and make more efficient the inclusion of new branches.

On 10/28/2013 08:30 PM, Olivier Dony wrote:

So it's very simple: if the OCB contributors find it useful to have a faster commit path to the stable branches, then they might find that respecting the stable policy somehow is worth it. It's an easy way to give more power to the community.

Hi Olivier,

you do make it sound simple but like I asked Fabien earlier on in this thread, would you be able to take all of the revisions if we kept the small amount of schema-changing ones out? The answer of course is very likely to be no, at least not all of them. That means that a two way granularity on branch level (splitting up schema changers from the rest) may good enough to base a semi-automated feedback process on.

Or what would be the process if you disagreed with a number of ocb-specific changes that you encounter? Would we be required to transfer them to the branch of rejects, then try again? It seems very cumbersome for both sides.

Back at the community days I was thinking maybe we can come up with something nifty and create a crazy bzr plugin to create cryptographically signed revision taglets combined with replay so that you could have a 'one bzr command' feedback proposal any time and if you disagreed on anything either side could update the tags. But I'm not sure if it's going to be less of a hassle than for you to simply periodically look at what has been merged recently in OCB on Launchpad...

Sorry to sound a bit grumpy what with all your good spirits and initiative in this matter! I am genuinly interested in what you, and others, think of these obstacles.

So how do you plan to handle this? What will become of your 7.0 divergences once 8.0 is released?

We'll have to see what the ratio of divergence is, and then decide if we want to split off some things that did not make it passed you guys in separate modules if possible, and other things we might just try to get passed you again ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan.