Re: Proposal to improve communication and make more efficient the inclusion of new branches.

2013/10/28 Stefan Rijnhart <stefan@xxxxxxxx>

> Sorry to sound a bit grumpy what with all your good spirits and initiative
> in this matter! I am genuinly interested in what you, and others, think of
> these obstacles.
>

>  So how do you plan to handle this? What will become of your 7.0
>> divergences once 8.0 is released?
>>

> We'll have to see what the ratio of divergence is, and then decide if we
> want to split off some things that did not make it passed you guys in
> separate modules if possible, and other things we might just try to get
> passed you again ;-)

Just an Idea.

What about if we have 2 branches OCB, one with Schema changes and antoher
without this schema changes (something like saas-1)

Lets call them ocb-SCH (Schema change) ocb-M (mergeable)

Then as every push on ocb (as it is right now) is supported by a bug report
+ and MP + description of solution, OpenERP itself can give arguments
against some solution they are not agreed (as we do with them).

Every change should be done in this way, if we compare 70 changes against
400 in 7,0-official, IMHO we can simply pre-test the merge with any script
in the middle, [runbot as script].

i.e.: I am not agreed either in the change and add an "Active" Field in
Journals, but BTW, It can be done in an extra module with almost no changes
in the rest of things.

If OpenERP offer a workaround to use the system as it is in a "Valid" way
(because some time is not valid the workaround) and this communication is
written in the books/answers/help i don't see any problem in respect the
Stable policy.

Honestly, we internally change very quickly everything in our modules, but
we need technically to start with a base that not change (It is the meaning
of "stable" I think) and the "exceptions" must be discussed one by one
because IMHO no there is only ONE golden rule to achieve with 100% of cases.

Obviously, we have several things that even change them requires fix the
test, or even re-write it to comply with Runbot but IMO it is other problem
i think.

What about if we start taking off all the noise of "Change Schema" and make
an MP to the core? @oliver could you try in this way?

Best regards.

My 2 cents.

--