Re: github

2011/6/7 Chuck Thier <cthier@xxxxxxxxx>:
> It saddens me that this is what OpenStack is becoming.

Me too.

> There is no reason that the swift team couldn't right now just fork to
> github, and leave the pieces for you to figure out.

Except we're supposed to be part of the same project. This implies
*some* amount of convergence and cooperation.

> Instead, they are trying to do the right thing, work within the system and get
> things done in a way that will work for all sides.

I don't see this happening *at all*. I see no effort to adjust Swift
to the framework, only effort to adjust the framework to make Swift
fit without much (or any) change. Swift has its own separate release
cycle, own versioning scheme, is now proposing to tell everyone else
to mind their own business, because they're switching a critical part
of their infrastructure regardless of what anyeone else thinks. The
Bexar design summit also revealed little to no interest in having
parts of the various projects' code converge. Everyone else was free
to use stuff from Swift, but shouldn't bother trying to get anything
to move in the opposite direction.

> You on the other hand are ready to just kick them out just like that?

I don't see anyone kicking anyone out. I do see people saying they'll
do whatever they please, regardless of what the project as a whole
thinks is a good idea. In my book, that constitutes leaving the
project. If that's not what it means, "OpenStack" ends up being
nothing more than marketing label a few lucky projects get to stick in
their name. I *know* that's not the OpenStack *I* signed up for.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/