taking the next step on speed mode

Hi Eva, et. al. Firstly--great work. It is very exciting to see those LEDs ON!

I was having some permission error in switching between speed/stamina modes (as indicated on web page) but with randomly rmmod/echo/insmod repetitions it eventually it seems to accept the change.

Before getting to the [below], I want to mention that I am only sending this out to see if others share my experience. Again, great work so far!

Short version: I have (rev ff) on both cards so I am wondering if this is why I still can't use nvidia (only tried 180.29).

Long version:
I am curious if you were able to install the nvidia drivers. I was able to get past the initial hardware compatibility check present in NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run. However I am not able to get X running (don't have the precise error any more, but it was saying the GPU is not recognized). Anyway, according to nvidia the 9300M GS chip-set should be supported so I am thinking that something in this module is still not setting up everything from from properly recognizing it.

As you can see,
$ lspci |grep -i nv
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9300M GS (rev ff) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev ff)

Which is essentially as before, except the rev ff. I do not think this was the revision before (I can restart if someone wants me to find out). The fact that it is 0xFF is really what caught my eye--I think this is an unlikely code. And I also think that it is causing or related to the nvidia module not recognizing the GPU on X start.

If anyone has thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them!

Cheers,

Josh

--
Joshua V. Dillon
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology