Current Issues was:(Re: Compressed image file with ToriOS, forked from: custom tarballs)

Hi!
(inlines)
On 06/01/2015 03:21 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-05-28 23:36, Israel skrev:
>> ..
>>
> Hi Israel,
>
> I found today that there is a new iso file dated May 29. I was alerted
> about it by Ali's blog post. (I must have missed your alert about it.)
Hi maybe my e-mail did not send, or I accidentally sent it to only one
person instead... not sure..  sometimes I start writing an e-mail and
get distracted by real life.
The funny thing is I just got distracted by real life after I wrote that
line :)  but I will send this one :)

> *Live*
>
> ToriOS seems to work well in the live session.
>
> The network and the nm-applet work :-)
>
> The menus work as far as I can understand :-)
>

> *Installing*
>
> It seems that update-grub is not running during installation, because
> 'the other installed systems' are not available after installation at
> the advanced OBI level. They appear after running
>
> sudo update-grub
>
> after booting into the installed system. Is this by intention or a
> regression (that we must run update-grub in the installed system)?
Ok, so this means the chroot update grub script it not getting run...  I
will look into the script a bit more to see what is happening.

> *Installed*
>
> The network and the nm-applet work :-)
yay!!

> Batteri works mostly :-)
>
> - the battery status is displayed when hovering
>
> - suspend works
>
> - but it seems hibernate causes shutdown: the computer starts without
> the opened apps. Maybe because I have too small swap space (less than
> RAM). I can check with a bigger swap partition later on.
I think it is a SWAP issue, as I use the basic Upower hibernate
command... though I may need to call the sync command before.

Either way, I do not think it is ready for ToriOS, but we do not need it
yet anyhow.  xfce-power-manager works well for 12.04.  But, I needed a
battery monitor for 14.10 :)
> I updated/upgraded and installed the HWE stack (with the trusty kernel),
> and noticed there is a new batteri icon. Hovering no longer displays the
> battery status but I can get an information window with a lot a data.
Hmmmm... this it very strange.  I will have to test this out in 14.04 soon.

> *Issues*
>
> 1. There are issues with the menus
>
> 1.1 mkusb is 9.1.5 in the installed system while it is 9.1.6 in the live
> system.
Hmmm... Oh!  I know, I didn't use unstable in the installed system.  Are
you going to update the stable PPA?
> 1.2 Nothing happens when you select ImageMagick from the menu.
Yes, Interprog recently reported this issue.  This will be fixed in the
next release!
Thank you for reminding me!
> 1.3 In pcmanfm - applications:
>
> - Only some of the apps in Others have icons.
>
> What about replacing this misery with a symbolic link
>
> ln -s /usr/share/applications /Desktop
>
> It will bring a link on the desktop which opens pcmanfm with icons for
> all apps. I don't mind having them all in the same window without
> separation into categories. I even prefer it like that :-)
Hmmm... I will look into this.  This isn't the live session, right?

> 2. ztweaks is not available in the installed system. I would be happy if
> you make it part of the installed ToriOS system (the tarball).
Ok, we should possibly move ztweaks into its own package (rather than
part of OBI)
This way it will be easy to install on its own.  I need to work on OBI
so I will try to do this soon.
> 2.1 I think ztweaks helps with language settings for non-English
> speakers and for quick switching between the default US keyboard and the
> local keyboard.
>
> 2.2 Many people (including me) have problems with the touchpad when
> using laptops and netbooks. The simple on-off touchpad management in
> ztweaks makes it convenient to fix that, particularly when ztweaks is
> autostarted.
>
> -o-
>
> I have not yet tried to make a tarball in this system and later on
> trying to install that system (to test if the network will work in the
> final system).

I look forward to this test!
Thanks for all the feedback!!
> Best regards