Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

On 05/27/2014 01:40 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Israel,
> See text inline and at the end ...
> Best regards/Nio
>
> 2014-05-27 18:29, Israel skrev:
>
>> I wonder if we should use a simple browser for some of those common
>> things, rather than including a lot of other things.
>> Of course imagemagick is light and fast.  It has the ability to take
>> screen shots, and display images, etc..  So it might be good to include
>> for that....
>> though we'd need a script to use the screen shots capability in a sane
>> way for users, to assign a filename, and increment it if they take
>> multiple shots.
>> something like Screenshot-$date.jpg  where $date it the time/date stamp.
> It is definitely worth considering
If I have time I might write a script to test out...  *IF*  so many
things going on in both real life and GNU/Linux life

>> What are you using for the graphics?  Is it ncurses or something else?
>> I am asking to know if it can it be themed differently?
>> It would be nice to make a really solid user experience where Tori OS
>> can have a specific 'branding'
>> from the first moment of installation to the first boot into the OS.
>>
>> And also... which Virtual Machine program works the best for this, can I
>> just use Virtual Box, or do you suggest VMWare, or something else.
>> I don't have a PAE machine to use right now... though, and my old PPC
>> wont work with this.  Of course I get 'broken' computers from people
>> when they get a new one.
>> And I fix them (usually only requires installing a version of Ubuntu,
>> which I choose based on Hardware and user expectations)
>> and give them to someone who has a REALLY broken computer, and cannot
>> afford to buy a new computer right away (or at all).
>>
> The 9w installer itself can run in text mode or graphics mode. The
> default graphical desktop environment is LXDE (as it is in Debian). I
> have only changed the background picture.
>
> The menu system is using the 'dialog' package, a script-interpreter
> which provides a set of curses widgets. It works in text mode as well as
> reasonably well in terminal windows (where for example mouse clicks
> work; dialog works with X/Open curses). It is similar to whiptail (which
> I think is used in the alternate installer). I like dialog, so use it.
>
> -o-
>
> I think it is easier to perform the branding in a fully graphical
> desktop environment. It is possible to translate the dialog scripts to
> work with zenity. They are similar but not the same. (I have used
> kdialog some years ago, but never zenity.)
>
> Of course it is possible (and probably more flexible) to use python, but
> I have no experience of using it. I started with a tutorial, but there
> was no time for it.
>
> -o-
>
> I think most virtual machines work with 9w. I have tested it in
> VirtualBox and KVM + virt-manager. I made screenshots recently in
> VirtualBox, where you can set the properties of the virtual cpu and to
> limit the RAM to low values. Use VirtualBox that you know already!
>
> One good feature with KVM + virt-manager is that guest machines can boot
> from USB and from image files (dd dumps of block devices) in the host
> computer.
>
> -o-
>
> 'I don't have a PAE machine to use right now...'
OOPS... :)

> You can't be serious :-D
>
> Yes, I know what you mean. I hope you find a non-pae computer that is
> 'broken' but not really broken :-)

I do think there is one lying around somewhere at my in laws house.  The
last time I saw it I tried booting Lubuntu on it to no avail, as the
memory was unreasonably small for Lubuntu.  Puppy worked fine with it,
though.