Re: ToriOS Beta2

[continuing at the end]

Den 2015-02-23 19:12, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> Den 2015-02-23 15:44, Israel skrev:
>> On 02/23/2015 08:30 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>>> I've made an OEM tarball now (to be tested). I made it with and for my
>>> separate One Button Installer, and it is in OEM user mode (not yet
>>> prepared for the end user), because it is also a 'backup' of this system.
>>>
>>> It is bigger, but not that much, It seems small enough for an iso file
>>> within CD size.
>>>
>>> Current version in the pre-beta iso file (size MB 10-base)
>>> 378 MB ToriOS-i386.tar.xz
>>>
>>> My OEM tarball
>>> 392 MB ToriOS-oem-b1.tar.xz
>>>
>>> Difference 14 MB and the iso file is 677 Mibibytes, with a margin of
>>>
>>> 23 Mibibytes approx 24 MB (10-base) to 700 Mibibytes.
>> Hi Nio!
>> Great!
>> How did you configure the OEM installer?  Did everything simply work?
>> If so, this is great news!!  That was one of the issues I wanted to solve!
>> Does the oem interface have the Numix GTK theme?
>>
>> This would be wonderful news!!
>> The base really does not need much more attention (maybe a few minor
>> things, which can probably be done with an update and re-tar)
>>

> Hi Israel,
>
> I configured the OEM system according to an instruction that works with
> other systems, for example LXLE. See the attached file.
>
> It worked with the OEM user (of course, it is like any user), but the
> part of Ubiquity, that should guide the user to create user and
> password, did not work. I saw much enough to find that the system found
> no window manager. Obviously, it did not find or did not like JWM :-(
>
> I logged into a text screen and installed openbox (but did no tweaking).
> Then it worked better (but I would not say it was good), I could get
> into openbox and the guide to create user and password started.
>
> I have no idea why this does not work. If we cannot fix it, it might be
> an alternative to make a simple script with zenity to prompt for a new
> user and to remove the oem user.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi again Israel and hi Mélodie,

I did a second trial, reinstalling ToriOS-oem (from my oem tarball) and

1. Installed openbox
2. Prepared ToriOS-oem for the end user

and then rebooted.

It rebooted directly into an openbox session with the window to enter
user name and password :-)

The colours were not good, and I think some black text on black
background could not be seen (if I remember correctly it is text
concerning radio buttons to select encrypted home). This can probably be
fixed rather easily by someone who knows how to configure openbox
(Mélodie?). Otherwise it works. And I created a working user id with a
working home directory :-)

It used a little more than 100 MB when logged in directly. I guess
openbox and maybe ubiquity were still in RAM after the final
configuration. After rebooting the RAM usage was down at the good low
values again :-)

-o-

I have been waiting while ToriOS-beta2 was uploading ... and now it is
uploaded (and matches the md5sum in your mail, Israel).