Re: What importance should this bug have?

* Alberto Salvia Novella (es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> David Alan Gilbert:
> >It's not really any more useful; 'inoperable state' isn't very
> >well defined, and it doesn't really highlight the differences
> >between:
> >   a) Permenantly damage (e.g. means machine will no longer get to BIOS
> >                          which fortunately we see very very rarely)
> >   b) Requires reinstallation (it happens)
> >   c) Loses your data    (rare, but it happens)
> >   d) Crashes regularly
>
> I called it "inoperable state" because what this state is, or other
> variables are, don't matter compared with what part is affected:
>
> Critical: system or data.
> High: main functionality.
> Medium: secondary functionality.
> Low: everything else.
>
> Even this is the case for frequency, what can be more accurately
> figured out using Heat.

Note that the existing criteria give you other criteria; so for
example 'low' says it's for bugs with an easy workaround.

Now, I wouldn't generally knock something that caused a 'won't boot'
or problem with a critical device down to low because it's got
an easy work around, but I might knock it down one level.

Dave

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /