Re: Porting issues

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Dmitry Smirnov <divis1969@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sorry Jani, but I'm lost :-)
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, I forgot to say that what I was talking about is the newer (so
called flipped-image) method of running Ubuntu, where Android's system.img
is inside an LXC container, and this is the default on Nexus devices.
For porters of 3rd devices the previous method (un-flipped) can still be
used, and that is indeed as you described, flashing the Android images as
with regular Android and then provide the Ubuntu.zip image from
cdimage.ubuntu.com
and have recovery flash it. Then Android will boot as usual and Ubuntu will
be inside a chroot. This is the legacy method (used by phablet-flash
cdimage-legacy as well) .

> That "Manual Download & Installation" tells about 3 steps:
> 1. Flash boot, recovery, system images. I presume these images should
> contains some phablet code (at least for recovery - support for autodeploy,
> otherwise next step could fail). This cannot be 'pure' CM/AOSP or vendor
> images. Thus I assume it is phablet-enabled Android side

Right, phablet-enabled Android side. I think the phablet/cm-10.1 branch is
more appropriate for this work, phablet/phablet-saucy may have an
assumptions about flipped image and may not work in legacy mode.

> 2. Install some zip file for specific device. In case of 4 supported
> devices I can get it from cdimage.ubuntu.com. Alternatively, I can build
> it by myself (ex. for device that is not supported on cdimage.ubuntu.com,
> cm-..tilapia.zip)

If you flashed boot/recovery and system.img you do not need this step.
cm-...tilapia.zip is a way to update the existing boot and system.img on a
device, but if you used fastboot already to flash those there is no need to.
 Alternately just flash recovery via fastboot and then autodeploy
cm---tilapia.zip.

 These zips contain boot.img and content of system folder. At first glance
> these are the same boot.img and content of system.img in step #1
> 3. Install some zip which in turn contain device-independent tar.gz
>
> Right, this one  requires autodeploy via recovery, it is not covered by
the standard fastboot style upload methods.

Step #2 seems unnecessary but does not impact the install procedure.

> Right.

Jani