Re: Device-Specific configs in debs

Hi,

2014/1/16 Chris Wayne <chris.wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> After some digging around the system, the following types of
> device-specific files are currently living in our rootfs:
>
>    - upstart jobs in /etc/init
>    - udev rules (in /etc/udev/rules.d and /lib/udev/rules.d)
>    - ubuntu-touch-session configs (basically just telling the system the
>    number of pixels in a GU IIRC) (in /etc/ubuntu-touch-session.d/)
>    - lxc container configs (in /var/lib/lxc/android/pre-start.d and
>    /usr/lib/lxc-android-config/)
>    - powerd configs (/usr/share/powerd/device_configs/)
>    - apparmor policies (/usr/share/apparmor/hardware/)
>    - binaries/scripts (i.e. /usr/bin/brcm_patchram_plus)
>    - ofono plugins/configs (not in the image now, but there will likely
>    be device/modem-specific files for these in the future AIUI)

I realize this won't help with finding a solution, but for completeness
sake, let me add three more things to this list that I (as a porter) change
in the rootfs:
 * Alsa ucm files for msm-audio in /usr/share/alsa/ucm (I'm not sure if the
same files can be used for all devices using the msm chipset, may need to
be adapted for each device?)
 * /etc/fstab to specify the system partition device node because
auto-detection fails for some devices (possible fix is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools-ubuntu-touch/+bug/1199084
 )
 * /home/phablet/.display-mir to enable Mir by default (I've seen a script
that does this for official devices, but the device names are hard coded so
a rootfs change is needed anyway if you don't want surfaceflinger)

There are more rootfs changes in my port, but those are related to my
hardware not meeting the Ubuntu Touch minimum requirements. I.e. deleting
the 9mb /var/log/lastlog file, removing apt caches, removing apt package
lists, removing some icon sets and a help language pack to free up space,
and changing the recovery flash script to use sdcard instead of /data for a
temporary file.

Cheers,
Florian