Re: Ubuntu Download Manager broken since #213

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Manuel de la Pena
<manuel.delapena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't like the fact that udm is dooimd the click package installations but
> it is done because there is no guarantee that the scope will be around to
> deal with the download. We should think a better approach and let udm do one
> only thing, download and find a better approach for the installations.

Hi Manuel, thanks a lot for fixing this on a weekend.

You mention that you don't like the download manager doing the
installation, but to put it more strictly: the download manager is
actually just running a command given by the scope when a given
download is completed. And the installation proper happens in that
command. This is done, as you've explained, because the scope process
may already be dead by the time that the download has finished, and
the dash may not be showing the preview for the current download so
it's not keeping track of the download progress and finished signals.

If needed we can replace this with a dbus call that activates a
process in a different security context; but I fail to see a problem
yet with spawning a process from udm. Can you shed some more light on
it? Moreover, I can't see how doing things differently would have
prevented this specific bug.

cheers,
--
alecu