Re: trying to scroll up the terminal output

On 03/17/2014 04:49 PM, Nathan Haines wrote:
> On 03/17/2014 01:32 PM, David Marceau wrote:
>> https://ubuntu.mybalsamiq.com/projects/ubuntuphonecoreapps/Terminal+-+Basic+View
>>

>> As mentioned here, it says I should be able to tap and hold the screen
>> for a second, then I can go finger up to scroll up.
>> As it stands when I move my finger up it still iterates through
>> command-line entries history.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Those early mockups are not representative of the actual Terminal app.
>
> Up/down swipes scroll through your bash history, left/right swipes move
> your cursor, tapping enables tab completion, and long pressing brings up
> a menu with common keyboard shortcuts.
>
> If you want to scroll, I'd bring up the tool bar, enable one of the
> panels, and then try PgUp and PgDn.  I don't know if they're functional,
> though.
PgUp/PgDn are not functional in the Ubuntu Touch Terminal
and PgUp/PgDn don't usually map to page up/down in the Ubuntu Desktop
Terminal either.

It would be nice to have an two extra panels dedicated to our favourite
editors(vi and emacs):
shift+;
shift+1
alt+x
ctrl+x
ctrl+u
ctrl+d
ctrl+l
ctrl+m
ctrl+n
ctrl+p
ctrl+a
ctrl+e
ctrl+alt
ctrl+esc

Rather than panels, how about a small area within the keyboard panel
itself that we swipe left/right and it shows us the different different
panels thus preserving the console display real estate.

Some mouse trackpads use one touch and drag up/down for the cursor
up/down for command-line history. That's intuitive with what the
terminal is doing now.  The touch and drag left/right for the cursor
left/right is also intuitive.
SUGGESTION:  two finger touch and drag up/down would scroll the terminal
up/down similar to Dell Latitude 2120 mouse touch track pads.
Currently touch and hold brings up the ctrl circle which is inefficient
because we shouldn't have to wait a second when some coders/gamers could
potentially plunk in 18+ characters in that chunk of time. It takes too
much time to work with.  It would be best to have panels dedicated to
the different editors(vi/emacs) to save time and not add to it by
waiting a second for every ctrl combination input.

WARNING OFF TOPIC:
We shouldn't have to wait for anything anywhere.  The applet load up
time right now is roughly 4-5 seconds. I launch the dialer and twiddle
my thumbs for 5 seconds.  I launch the browser and thumb-twiddle again.
Ditto for the sms messaging.  When you're in a hurry, it's annoying.  I
hope that part will be dealt with shortly.