Re: Landing team 13.08.15

Hey Robert,

W dniu 14.08.2015 o 18:08, Robert Schroll pisze:
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> Just to make sure I've got it: devel isn't actually dangerous right now
> -- it's just not going to get any love until devel-proposed manages to
> stabilize.  rc-proposed is available, but under the "If it breaks, you
> get both halves" warranty.

Yes, that's more or less it. Also, devel-proposed generally gets much
less love now than before, as everyone is focusing on rc-proposed.

> I'm speaking from a position of complete ignorance here, but: Is there
> that much of a chance that an image that works on mako will fail on
> manta or flo?  I would assume that most of the driver issues have been
> worked out, and most of the updates for these machines would be "pure"
> software.  If so, what about promoting images for manta and flo once
> they've passed QA on mako?  Obviously you can't control for unknown
> unknowns, but it seems that this should be significantly safer than a
> -proposed channel.  Obviously, we'd make it clear that these images
> aren't guaranteed in the same way those for mako are, and maybe this
> should only happen for rc, not stable, but I think it would be a nice
> intermediate between the working-but-old devel and new-but-maybe-broken
> rc-proposed.
>
> Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Well... that's the *theory*, but in practice it's sadly a bit more
problematic ;) We had multiple and multiple cases where at some point
suddenly only one device stopped working after a change landed, or a
certain important feature being broken because of device-specifics. We
notice such issues with mako and krillin/arale - as an example one can
mention the recent case of the OTA-5 messaging and telephony regression
that was only affecting mako. We had to release a hotfix for that. And
that's not the first time something like that happened.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying that your proposition is wrong, just
want to mention what was the original rationale for not including all
the platforms in the rc/stable support list.

That being said, we discussed all this slightly in our landing team
meeting and also partially with the product team today. There is no
definite decision yet, but what we'll think of doing is actually
including at least flo to the list of community devices we'll try
promoting on every main update. We won't be doing all the regression
tests on it, but do something similar to what we do for mako - make sure
that it passes sanity tests. So I suppose this way flo users would be
able to use the rc/stable channels for their convenience.

But as I said, we'll have to wait a bit for a final decision on that.

Cheers!

--
Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team