Re: Web browser tabs turn white

W dniu 18.08.2015 o 17:54, Olivier Tilloy pisze:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Dominik Wnęk <dominik@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dnia 10 sie 2015 o godz. 13:21 Olivier Tilloy <olivier.tilloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,
Am Montag, den 10.08.2015, 12:47 +0200 schrieb Dominik Wnęk:

Does this mean a single webpage with no images is capable of taking up all memory in the phone? Because that's the usage scenario I'm describing.
well, it is definitely the same result, the renderer dies and doesn't
tear the UI down with it (or notify the UI to enable it to show a
message to you or some such)

it might be a different cause from ram issues if you really only have
that one tab and only the browser as only app open though (i.e. the
lifecycle management and memory management wouldn't be involved in this)

so in that light it perhaps makes sense to file a new bug since the
renderer might have died because of other reasons ...
If the renderer was killed by the system, then that’s a memory
consumption issue (already tracked by e.g.
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1478853). If the renderer crashed, then
that’s a different issue indeed. Can you reproduce the situation
reliably on one given page, or does it happen at random?

Hi,

It happens on various websites I visit, like eurogamer.net or gamingonlinux.com. There are usually other apps running, though (meaning: the phone's been up for a while) and it looks like it's closing them, because they take their time to load when switching away from the browser.

Anyway, I just did a little test: I rebooted the phone and started reading eurogamer. Within 3 minutes I got the white screen, while loading comments to an article on the front page. Is there a way I can tell what the reason for the disappearing renderer was?

They have a mechanism on the comments page which loads in new comments at the bottom after reaching a certain point down the page; I've had it go white a couple of times while it was doing that. Also, it can occur while I'm just quickly scrolling through a lot of comments.
I just tested the eurogamer case on my BQ Aquaris E4.5, loaded a few
articles and their associated comments (I targetted articles with 150+
comments), washed rinsed and repeated during 10min, and I didn’t get
the dreaded blank page.

My device is on rc-proposed (image #100), so many components changed
since the latest stable release of OTA5. This image from rc-proposed
will soon become OTA6. Let’s see if that update makes things better
for you.
Yes, I'm sure it must be getting better... That's why I refrained from filing the bug for now, as I've been unable to find a 100% case for this. I even opened an animated gif on eurogamer this afternoon and the renderer didn't crash... which I think was a first for me.

From my testing the longer the phone runs the more often the white page appears. Almost as if... memory weren't being freed by other apps? I'm groping in the dark here. :-)

I'm really looking forward to OTA-6, the phone's been getting progressively better with each update.

Thanks!

--
Dominik Wnęk