MX4 + adb

On 2016-04-09 20:53 , Krzysztof Tataradziński - ktatar156@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Try that one:
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/meizu-mx/general/tutorial-ubuntu-touch-cyanongen-to-flyme-t3240088
> I'm on Arch linux with android-tools installed and works great! ;)

Does that link add anything to help me get adb working?  If adb can't
see the phone I can't even get through the "adb reboot-bootloader" step.

Installing a whole different Linux just to get one tool working seems a
bit over-the-top.  Is there reason to believe it's a difference between
Arch Linux and Raspbian that's the problem?  A different version of
android-tools, or a different USB driver, or something?  It would be a
shame to waste effort installing Arch Linux just to find out that my USB
port is hardware-incompatible with the MX4 for some reason.

A possibly interesting fact is that on my Macbook running adb 1.0.32 I
can see (and command "adb reboot-bootloader") my ZTE Android phone,
whereas on the Raspberry Pi running adb 1.0.31 I can't see that phone
either.  But then, that's not really a *very* interesting fact, since it
doesn't help me get the MX4 working.

Can someone give me some insight into why this is a hard problem?  I
really thought the whole point of adb and USB was to provide standard
protocols across different hardware and host OSs.