Re: Concerning UbuntuOne

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 14:51 -0800, eric amundson wrote:
> I completely agree.  I love the idea of Ubuntu One and think it's
> headed in the right direction, but it's seriously beta (if not alpha)
> software, and not ready for prime time.

I'm going to venture my feedback, which is going to be similar, but in a
slightly different note:

When Ubuntu One was first announced, I signed up for a free trial via my
Launchpad account - which is what I still have, I'm not subscribed to
the paid service.

When I got the trial account some months ago, I quickly started to like
it very much. I'm constantly switching between a netbook and a laptop,
and while I use git to keep track of my actual Work, Ubuntu One was
ideal for keeping research files (notes, PDFs, Gutenberg library books,
etc) synchronized between the two computers.

I really loved the simplicity of it - until about the time of the
release of Karmic. Sometime before the client started complaining of
version compatibility with the server on the laptop, and after upgrade
to Karmic sync'ing doesn't work at all.

On the netbook, UbuntuOne now complains of version incompatibility with
the server and asks me to be patient, while on the laptop it appears to
work fine which is strange since I'd suppose the versions in Karmic and
UNR 9.10 to be the same?

Which means that I've stopped using it. Which is a shame, because as I
said I was starting to like it a lot and was even thinking of
subscribing to the paid service, for serious backup and similar things.
Now this will have to wait at least until it starts working properly
again.

br

Carsten Agger
Aarhus, Denmark