Re: Concerning UbuntuOne

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:13 +0100, Carsten Agger wrote:

> I really loved the simplicity of it - until about the time of the
> release of Karmic. Sometime before the client started complaining of
> version compatibility with the server on the laptop, and after upgrade
> to Karmic sync'ing doesn't work at all.
>
> On the netbook, UbuntuOne now complains of version incompatibility with
> the server and asks me to be patient, while on the laptop it appears to
> work fine which is strange since I'd suppose the versions in Karmic and
> UNR 9.10 to be the same?

Since I was involved in the issue you are describing, here's my view of
the problem.

5 days before Karmic was released I happened to get all my files in U1
removed. Since my U1 was used primarily for testing my files were not
very valuable. However I could not gather much info about the bug at
that time. So when I returned back, 3 days before release, I checked the
issue and got it reproduced reliably. In case your sync was interrupted
before all files are downloaded from U1 server, you might have all
non-synced files REMOVED from server and later on from the first PC you
were syncing leading to complete loss of your data.
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/462230
Yes, it was possible to recover the files at the server side, but only
by U1 admins.

So Canonicals made their server to report "Capabilities Mismatch" error
when such buggy clients were trying to connect and issues the
notification about such condition in Release Notes. Yes, this error
immediately became the top bug report on launchpad, but it is much
better than the horror of finding your files completely missing.

The issue labeled "Capabilities Mismatch" after update has another
reason. The packages that were shipped in PPA right before Karmic
release were given the version 1.1, the package that came to Karmic had
version 1.0 so it might not have been upgraded by the system. So please
try puring all u1 components and reinstall them to get a working client.

The versions in Karmic and Karmic UNR are the same.

--
Roman Yepishev <roman.yepishev@xxxxxxxxx>