Fwd: Updates on Login

Ops... I sent the message below to David only.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paulo J. S. Silva <pjssilva@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/6/17
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Updates on Login
To: David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sorry David,

I think I misread your suggestion. I  thought you were suggesting to
force the user to upgrade at login and now reading your message again,
and your reply, I see that you were just saying that if the user
decided to upgrade at login, than instead of trying to upgrade and
logging in in parallel the computer should then first update and
followed by a login. I OK with this idea.

However I do think that updates at login time are weird. As I said,
even though I am a computer scientist my computer is a tool. When I
login I want to work or use it to communicate or surf the net Not
usually a good moment to update. As I said, when I log out usually I
don't mind to leave it updating it self before shutting down, as it
turns off after that.

Of course if the computer is a laptop, you may want to shutdown *now*
(to take it away with you, for example). But I am assuming that the
upgrade would be optional. Like an extra button in the shutdown/logout
dialog saying that you have upgrades (maybe with a nice "present" icon
as some suggested). Maybe this button should be the default action
button. I am not sure about this last point.

Paulo