Re: Updates on Login

Thinking more carefully, updates, and specially security updates, are
really very, very important. So why not do it all? I mean:

1) Allow updates at login, as it is suggested here

2) Leave a permanent notification symbol on the panel while the
session is on (this would take care of notifying users that use
auto-login and users that do not logout)

3) Allow updates at logout/reboot/shutdown

With that so reminders only the people who really don't want to update
won't do it.  For security conscious people, that usually don't
postpone the updates too much the reminders would not be too much
because they would just vanish away once you update for the first
time.

Moreover, with such pervasive upgrade reminders, I don't really see
the need for pop-unders or to interrupt the user work flow in any
form. This strategy may be able to make everyone happy and adapt to
any work flow.

Another advantage, I see is that in GDM and in the
logout/restart/shutdown dialog there is enough space to present the
upgrade icon with a text explaining what it means. After a while the
user will learn what the icon means. Hence, in the panel there is no
need for a long message explaining the icon.

What you think? Ubiquitous   upgrade reminders?

Paulo