Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

2009/7/7 Matt Wheeler <m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 2009/7/7 Martín Soto <donsoto@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Take a look at my last message to this thread: I think it addresses your
> > point much better. In summary, I think we should not pay so much
> attention
> > to the data source, but to the data destination. If you're displaying to
> the
> > TV or to a projector, you'd rather not have notifications there.
>
> How do you differentiate between displaying to a TV or projector for a
> presentation, or using an external monitor as your primary display
> when you're preparing, or watching a video on your own?

Good question: As I mentioned in the other message, this is tricky, and I
don't know the right answer. The xrandr extension provides lots of
information about a video output, and it's probably possible to guess from
that if we're dealing with a projector or TV. I won't be 100% correct, but
it may work in many cases.

Also, future versions of X/Gnome wil automatically offer a configuration box
as soon as you plug in a monitor. We can consider asking the user once at
that point if this is a projector. The UI for doing this would have to be
very well thought, but I guess this could work if done properly.

M. S.