Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

Please forgive me for asking a dumb question, but I am not a programmer, and I honestly don't know ...

Does making an application "Unity compatible" involve more than making the menu entries exportable over the DBus system? Relative to other programming issues, is that more difficult, less difficult, or the same difficulty as other common programming tasks?

I am just curious because I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that DBus was becoming fairly common, and I just also wondered if Ubuntu has a large market share among Linux distributions if it would not be desirable to do this irrespective of whether the DBus information is then taken up by something as specific as the Unity shell.

On 05/19/2011 04:50 AM, Ian Santopietro wrote:

Developers can choose to implement the Unity API for adding things to their launcher item, such as progress bars and quicklists. However, the global menu is done via gtk and dbus, and requires no effort on the part of the developer, provided the developer has implemented a standard gtk menu system.