Re: Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

Den 28. sep. 2011 11:51, skrev Ian Santopietro:

But Alt-F1 triggers keyboard navigation of the launcher, not the dash. You can switch directlyfrom there to either dash or the Run dialog without any other action. To open the dash, briefly press and release Super, which is a very different shortcut from Alt-F2, and not likely to be confused. It is true they look identical and serve very different functions, but be cause they are each accessed so differently, it's unlikely that a user would open one when they meant to open the other.

Agreed.

And one might use "killall Thunderbird" to terminate Thunderbird if it freezes. It was a rhetorical

One might do that, but it would have little effect. :)

example, but the point is that sometimes it is useful to run a command without opening a terminal, particularly if you would then immediately close the terminal. If I want to actually run a command in a terminal, then I place a terminal shortcut in launcher position #7 (for example) and the can subsequently press Super-7 to open the terminal, at which point I can run my command.

I think that's the proper way to do it. I don't think I've ever checked the checkbox in the old alt+f2 dialog to run a command in a terminal. And back then, that was usually much faster to open than the terminal. It's just never been comfortable and I'm glad that option is gone.

This is equally as fast as the Windows examples, and doesn't rely on exposing the command prompt to new users (which is a good thing). For one-offs, I can still use Alt-F2.

Ah, a voice of reason. :)

Jo-Erlend Schinstad