Re: Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

It is simple, but it isn't intuitive.

Pressing enter (in combination with any other key) indicates that you want
to do an action with the item selected on the screen. We don't want the dash
to search commands, as this is not end-user friendly. A new user should
never have to know what a command is, and if our "simple" launcher exposes
it to them, we've lost one battle right there.

You can't make it hidden either, since then it isn't clear what exactly will
be done, which is also bad design. With present and past Alt+F2
implementations, you can always see what exactly will run when you press
enter. The old Gnome-panel Run Command dialog was dedicated to this. The new
Unity implementation does this and tells you visually what will happen by
presenting the command as a search result.

And, this would likely include removing the standard Alt+F2 access, since
having both would be redundant and bloated. This brings back the whole
problem that Unity's Alt+F2 solved in the first place.

--
Ian Santopietro

*Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html*

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast
 Ofer middangeard monnum sended"

Pa gur yv y porthaur?