Re: Notifications in unity

Jo-Erlend:

> If you spend three hours a day using your computer, then you will have
> spent 10.920 hours during the next ten years. Is it more important that a
> user can use the system without learning anything, or is it more important
> that the next 10.919 hours are as pleasant as possible?
>
> It is folly to believe that people should be able to be masterful computer
> users without spending even ten minutes learning how to use it.
>
> I agree completely. However that might be the geek in me responding to the
geek in you :P

*(I)Usage case:*
In the case of my mother, many times she doesn't pick up shortcuts that
require a little looking around to discover.
This is because she (and maybe other computer users) are not comfortable or
interested in experimenting. Things in the corners of the screen may not be
obvious.
We must keep in mind, that the less an (average) user has to read a manual,
the better. ("here, take this CD and become a full time ubuntu user")
(I)*Hence:*
The "notifications are transient", "indicators are persistent and invite
action" principle might need rethinking either in principle or in practice.
The ayatana list (IMHO) is the best place to do it.
*
(II)Usage case:*
1)When a user is distracted by a notification and wants it to go away,
there is no means of doing that
2)When a (new) user mouses over a notification they may want to interact
with the associated programme
*(II)Design principles and Constraints:*
a)Notifications *must not* capture input focus when they appear
b)Notifications *must not* suddenly appear below clickable areas, get
clicked and do something unexpected
c)Notifications *must not* be used as a means of acquiring user input/
invite action. (barring informing  users about things they may act upon in
other places)
*(II)Proposal:*
1)To satisfy Design principles and constraints (a) and (b): the
notification behaviour remains as it is for the first two seconds,
2)*A mouse over* after the delay will transform the notification to show a
close and a help button(see attachment)
3)Clicking the help button will direct attention to the relevant indicator/
window/ status( How can this be implemented?)