Re: Fwd: About tiling window management in Unity

Le 26/02/2012 18:46, Philipp Gassmann a écrit :
Am 02/26/2012 04:06 PM, schrieb frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx:
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 15:50, Philipp Gassmann <phiphi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:phiphi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Am 02/26/2012 02:21 PM, schrieb Mark Shuttleworth:
    > On 26/02/12 11:50, Gabriel Pettier wrote:
    >> I think beeing able to put 4 windows side by side would be
    great (or
    >> two with ¼/¾ widths), vertical spliting is less used but a
    top/bottom
    >> split is sometime useful. Too much would makes it hard to use,
    so i
    >> think a 4×2 grid would be nice.
    >
    > Quartering would be a 2x2 grid, not 4x2.

    The compiz plugin that is currently still active but in part disabled
    allows finer tiling by repeatedly pressing Ctrl+Alt+[Numpad-Key] e.g.
    [9] for upper right corner.
    So you could tile up to 6 windows with flexible width.

    The middle row doesn't work currently, which would be vertically
    maximised windows (5 being maximising or narrow centered)

Are you sure this is correct?
Repeatedly pressing e.g. [CTRL] [ALT] [NUM4] e.g. kept resizing the window within a pseudo maximized-to-left-edge state. There was no keyboard-only way of tiling another slice next to it. Same goes for vertical stacking. So this means with the keyboard-only interface there was no way of tiling more than 4 windows at a time, except when resizing them in a way that would enable one single [CTRL] [ALT] [NUM5] narrow-resized window tiled to the screen center, which would occupy the entire vertical space from touching the panel on the top edge down to the bottom of the screen.

I don't recall at any time having had the possiblity of neatly tiling 6 windows onto the screen in a keyboard-only way.

"Flexible width" is one way of saying it. It would have been a thousand times easier to simply resize windows manually within a sensible grid - the mouse way..
see screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57588162/Bildschirmfoto%20am%202012-02-26%2018%3A41%3A28.png Flexibility is very limited. just the width is variable without moving manually.

Yeah this didn't actually allow 4 collumns, just 3 with ¼½¼ or 1/32/31/3, but still, it was quite useful