Re: "run command" in Dash

> I don't think so, maybe it's only my opinion. The final use of dash or
> ALT+F2 is always running application associated to files.

That's a flawed use case. Modern applciations have facilities to open
recent and less used files from within the application. The file
browser has this functionality as well. The Alt+F2 dialog is ideally
suited to running simple, one off commands whose output is unimportant
to the user. Perhaps there won't be any output. Commands which
demonstrate this include:

ubuntu-bug
xkill
gksudo {some other command}
unity & (to restart Unity)
u1sdtool (for controlling Ubuntu One)
etc.

These are all simple commands that return little or no meaningful
output. For commands where you care about the output, using a Terminal
window is the best solution.

In the event that you want to run an application, The Dash is much
better suited to this. Accepting filenames as arguments is not
standardized, and may not work or require additional parameters. Using
the application's GUI is much more standard and reliable.

--
Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast
 Ofer middangeard monnum sended"