Re: WIKI, what can we do?

Václav Šmilauer said:     (by the date of Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:35:47 +0200)

> > this sounds funny, but pretty honest and fair :) I wildly guess that
> > after you defend your PhD someone else will take over ;^)
> Hopefully.
> > such page has been written numerous times. Do you remember a graph in
> > your presentation: a number of lines of code along the years?
> That was from https://www.ohloh.net/p/yade/analyses/latest, there is no
> graph for persons. Also, judging by number of lines added is not really
> fair; Chiara, for instance, has not commited much code (yet), but raised
> important questions which led to things being fixed.

oh, of course you are right here.

> (We could order by
> deleted lines, that is more important than lines added.)

hehe. I object ;-) You wouldn't need to delete anything if I didn't
write it first ;-P

> I would more prefer a brief overview of everyone, with a picture of a
> typical simulation (something like slides 34-47 in
> https://yade-dem.org/w/images/5/59/Eudoxos2010-yade-past-present-future.pdf), that would also give better about the kind of problems Yade can handle. Of course it would be voluntary and everybody could write a little bit about herself/himself or nothing. What do you think?

yes, I love that overview. Main "problem" here is that 90% of that
overview is not in yade 0.50. Even my lattice model got first to
attic, then deleted. And we are already publishing a second book in
springer with results from it (with fibrous concrete). And - due to
time constraints, as usual - I was doing calculations for those books
and articles using older version. Without porting it to head.
Everyone suffers from this. And that's a pity. Someone else has done
a great FEM code with yade. And nobody else has seen it.

So, best would be if everyone who wants to will write what he has
done, just a longer overview, as in your presentation. Tells that
this code is not in 0.50, and even better if he points to a place
where it is.

Or maybe we could commit separate branches for each of those
"overview" articles. So at least they get archived in a public place,
even if based on older yade. Maybe sometime in the future someone will
come, who will want to port older code to latest yade, because he
will need that code + latest features. If we put that code in
separate branches in public BZR instead of forgetting them on some
personal hard disk, then at least this option remains possible.

--
Janek Kozicki                               http://janek.kozicki.pl/  |