Re: Two critical issues for me in Zim

On 14 June 2010 14:38, Fabian Moser <e-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm used to typing markup. For everything too "serious" to use Zim for
> (because I need to publish it later), I use LaTeX and I type the markup
> there as well. I prefer "stateless" editing: I don't care in what mode
> (bold, italic, whatever) the editor is.

It seems to me (this can be debated) that the preceding __ is opening
a state. How is that different than <ctrl-I>? Serious question, I am
not criticizing your argument but trying to understand it. I have a
user who insists on clicking the panel for closing his OS main menu.
He simply refuses to click the main menu icon. I see this as a similar
issue: the user is simply used to one way of doing something and
refuses to learn another. There is nothing wrong with that, but I want
to understand it.

> I don't see how the original reason for the inventation of
> wiki-markup limits its usefullness today.

If there is no way to override the wiki markup then arbitrary text
cannot be entered into the textarea.

> And I vaguely remember you
> critisising the "my way or the highway" approach a few days ago. Why
> apply it here?

I never said that wiki markup must be abandoned. I said that it should
be optional. I've said that repeatedly. I understand that there is a
need for wiki markup, and that some people like it, and that is fine.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com