Re: Two critical issues for me in Zim

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:56:31 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems to me (this can be debated) that the preceding __ is opening
> a state. How is that different than <ctrl-I>? Serious question, I am
> not criticizing your argument but trying to understand it. ...

It is not opening a state, because you can use __ easily within Zim and
nothing will happen unless you use another __ in the same line. One __
by itself has no special meaning at all and thus is no state change.
<ctrl-I> is.

A more computer-scientific way to see is, that for <ctrl-I>,
(editing) sequence matters, while for __ it doesn't. If I type "text__"
and then go back and add "__" in front, it has the intended effect. On
the other hand if I type "text<ctrl-I>" and then go back and press
"<ctrl-I>" in front, obviously nothing happens. Hence, __ is stateless
while <ctrl-I> isn't.

> I never said that wiki markup must be abandoned. I said that it should
> be optional. I've said that repeatedly. I understand that there is a
> need for wiki markup, and that some people like it, and that is fine.

That's what I uderstood as well. Just your question "do you really need
the ability to type **text**?" seemed to imply that I may not need to
type **text**. If that implication was unintended, I'm sorry for the
misunderstanding.

--
Fabian Moser