Re: Call for user cases ?

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:29, Christoph Zwerschke <cito@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 02.03.2012 08:53, schrieb Dotan Cohen:
>
>> This bug has a real-life example:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300
>
> Dotan, I think the problem is that what you are labeling a "data loss" issue
> is no data loss issue at all. In your example, the data is displayed without
> the "**", because these are interpreted as "bold". But the "**" are still
> there in the text file, nothing is lost.

I see. Although I agree with your assessment that the data could be
recovered, it is still lost for Zim users. You and I might be able to
open the source file and retrieve the data. I would not expect that of
the casual user. That is quite the reason that I think that it is a
bit early to promote Zim to the casual user.

> If you do an ordinary copy of that example snippet, the "**" will not be
> copied, but if you copy as wiki syntax, and paste it into an editor, the
> "**" will be pasted as well.

The text is question was copied from a web page in Firefox and pasted into Zim.

> You can and should also surround such code snippets with triple quotes, then
> they will be treated as verbatim blocks.

And why would casual users know this? How about Python code, which may
contain triple quotes? Zim itself is written in Python.

> This has all been pointed out on the bug tracker, so I don't understand why
> you're still talking about "data loss".

Because it affects casual users.

--
Dotan Cohen