asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Random freezes and optional kernel parameters

Messir--

Since you seem to have exhausted your other options, and since Windows
is running well on your machine, I believe about the only thing left
is to reformat the Linux partition and reinstall to see if the problem
still appears when running from the disk.

On my UL30A, the original disk ran fine--I replaced it with a much
faster one and put the original into an external USB case to use for
backups and to have a spare should the primary disk I installed fail
at some point. (I installed a Seagate Momentus hybrid drive, which has
a built-in 4 GB SSD integrated with the 7200 rpm drive. Very nice thus
far, by the way).

Because your system runs Windows well, and the disk utilities all
claim the disk is fine--the most logical remaining alternative is some
sort of fault with the Linux partition's formatting.

There are several Linux test tools listed in the "test tool matrix" at
the Linux Test Project which would work to check your filesystem and
determine if the errors are there. You might take a look at
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/tooltable.php

Of course, the result may be that a very small flaw in the original
Linux formatting has created the problem. I have not personally heard
of anyone else with a problem like yours on the UL30 and I rather
doubt it is hardware related since you say it works fine under
Windows.

In some cases, inexplicable and intermittent problems similar to yours
can be caused by power supply issues--but that would be the case in
Windows as well as in Linux. I have also seen similar things happen
with RAM modules that are going bad--but, again, that this doesn't
happen from bootable media or in Windows would tend to rule that out
for the most part.

Good luck!

David