Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Faheem Mitha wrote:

Hi,

I put the makefile in at the top level, under the top level of /usr/lib/petsc-2.2.1 (this is the output of 'make install').

Now DOLFIN compiles correctly.

I'm going to go ahead and change the Debian package so that this makefile is added to the top level of the installed library directory.

Then I'll go ahead and build a DOLFIN package, which should be straightforward.

I realise that this is just a temporary fix, but we need working packages ASAP, and it is a start.

I hope the problems with DOLFIN compilation against a PETSc installation can be resolved.

I'll be back in touch once I've done the above.

Hi,

I modified the PETSc build.

However, I have now encountered another problem. Here are steps to reproduce:

1) Install PETSc using my Debian package.

2) Compile DOLFIN against this package, using

./configure --with-petsc-dir=/usr/lib/petsc-2.2.1

2) When I try running the demos (in src/demos) in the DOLFIN source tree, I get link errors, which appear to be that something thinks that the PETSc libraries are still where they were built, namely

/usr/local/src/petsc/petsc/petsc-2.2.1/debian/tmp/usr/lib/petsc-2.2.1/

I'm not sure what is causing this problem or how to resolve it. The easist thing would be if one of the DOLFIN developers could repeat the above steps to reproduce the problem.

Thanks.                                                         Faheem.

sarge1-root)faheem@io:/usr/local/src/dolfin/dolfin-0.5.7/src/demo/fem$ ./dolfin-fem
Reading mesh from file "tetrahedron.xml.gz".
Computing mesh connectivity:
  Found 4 nodes
  Found 1 cells
  Created 6 edges
  Created 4 faces
  Sorting mesh entities locally.
Initializing PETSc (ignoring command-line arguments).
Petsc Version 2.2.1, Patch 42, Released August, 18, 2004
See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
See docs/troubleshooting.html for hints about trouble shooting.
See docs/index.html for manual pages.
unknown on a linux-gnu named io by faheem Tue Jul  5 21:39:04 2005
Libraries linked from /usr/local/src/petsc/petsc/petsc-2.2.1/lib/libg_c++/linux-gnu
[0]PETSC ERROR: PetscInitialize_DynamicLibraries() line 64 in src/sys/src/dll/reg.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unable to open file!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unable to locate PETSc dynamic library /usr/local/src/petsc/petsc/petsc-2.2.1/debian/tmp/usr/lib/petsc-2.2.1/lib/libg_c++/linux-gnu/libpetsc
 You cannot move the dynamic libraries!
or remove USE_DYNAMIC_LIBRARIES from ${PETSC_DIR}/bmake/$PETSC_ARCH/petscconf.h
 and rebuild libraries before moving!
[0]PETSC ERROR: PetscInitialize() line 446 in src/sys/src/objects/pinit.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: ClassRegLogGetClass() line 290 in src/sys/src/plog/classLog.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: Invalid argument!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Invalid object cookie 0!
[...]