Re: boost_root driven by https

On Sep 2, 2013 4:37 AM, "Brian Sidebotham" <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 1 September 2013 14:27, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> > http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable
>> >
>> > Read about "relocations".
>>

>> Brian,
>>

>> I think your idea of looking at the PE headers is good.
>>

>> Also, maybe you can mimic the BASE ADDRESSES of the DLLs being built,
and try and get
>> mingw's LD, invoked under g++,  to use the same ones:
>>

>> Something like this for each DLL:
>>

>> set( YOUR_DLL_BASE 0x2321000000 )       # adjust accordingly
>>
>> set_target_properties( your_dll PROPERTIES
>>         LINK_FLAGS -Wl,--image-base,${YOUR_DLL_BASE}
>> )
>>

>> With the same base addresses,

not among each other, but separated in space so as not to collide with one
another, presumably done by mimicing a known good working base address set,

 if there is still a big difference, then it is something else.

Might see if windows dynamic linking gives you a choice between linking by
name or linking by ordinal.  This if possible is likely in the pe file on
top during the dynamic link step.  Your pe dumps will show this.

> Okay, no problem. I can look at this to see what effect it has.
Ultimately the real slowness appears to be startup-time and not much else.
The performance of the applications (although obviously I'm only testing
with wxWidgets samples) appears to be comparable.