Re: Experiments and considerations for more layer

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 07:12:40AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> That looks excellent.

Yep, quite.

> I was also thinking bit set.  The fact that std::bitset<> takes a size suggests it is
> putting the bits in the instance block, not in a separate block of memory.

I think the issue is not the 'best' kind of bit vector (his
implementation is more or less like the bitset, there are also
std::vector<bool>, or even std::set<LAYER_NUM> which are not
compile-time bound in size). Of course you can't have an 'unbounded'
fixed size structure (there are tricks, like, keep the first 32 often
used bits in a local word and allocate a block if other ones are needed,
but this is an implementation optimization).

I think the question is if to keep the current fixed-in-code layer
stackup or moving toward a more dynamic layer structure.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl