Re: Library Convention

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 03:00:41PM -0400, Jean-Paul Louis wrote:
> US is really sticking to the Imperial system, but the rest of the world is metric. So who will win is not obvious, but I would bet on the metric on the long run.

OK, there is a rule for this too :D IPC7351B says 'everything is
metric', IPC7351C (will) say: 'two distinct libraries, one for metric
and one for imperial'. Also while the default fabrication level was
B (nominal), in C the default will be C (minimum).

Yes, they regressed but the imperial people obviously lobbied a lot.

> But it is a lot more important in the footprint because it relates directly to assembly. We need to freeze the default orientation of the part, and provide an extra field for the orientation of the part in the tape for delivery in tape and reels, or even in trays for big devices.
>
> BGA arrays is a huge problem as manufacturers do pretty much as they want on that respect.

Even for other components they do it... IMHO it's not useful to add the
tape orientation since a) there is *always* something to adjust at the
PnP station and b) probably even for the same part different
manufacturers use a different taping. In addition: this field would be
on the package (in pcbnew) or in the schematic? maybe some SO8 are
delivered in one side and other ones on another...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl