Re: Fwd: Re: About library naming conventions

W dniu 06.04.2014 01:55, Carl Poirier pisze:

    At this point, we shall to ask: How many users use SI units when
    drawing schematics? Most of them will look at grid only and doesn't
    care about mm or inches.
    Units of measurement are important, but where they are actually
    required to maintain strict dimensions.

If you look at the metrication of the world, you will notice people
using the imperial system are getting scarce these days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SI-metrication-world.png

IMHO this picture isn't an argument here.

    If we force 4mm or 2.5mm of pin length these pins will be outside of
    the grid when somebody uses inches. IMO this is not the way we
    should follow.

Same can be said when one uses the SI system to draw his schematic.

If he only switch from inches to mm using Eeschema left toolbar nothing will happen. The grid remains the same.

As I said before, I'm using grid points for reference and don't care about current units when draw a schematic. And I'm sure that many people do the same. For me the grid in inches is better because it's easier to multiply simple numbers like 0.05" than 1.27mm.

    (...) unless the manufacturer places the components in a different
    orientation in tubes, tapes or trays (Important for P&P).

Good point. Can you tell me, for a device that's made by many
manufacturers and sold in such packages, do they all use the same
orientation?

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/szza021c/szza021c.pdf
A very interesting table on pages 12-14. One manufacturer and different pin 1 location in tape, even for the same packages. For example package widely known as SC-70-5: DCK3 pin 1 on lower left quadrant, DCK2
pin 1 on upper right quadrant.

Regards
Kerusey Karyu