Re: Bug listings: offering the option of a single line or multi-line view

On 7 December 2011 17:18, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Diogo Matsubara <matsubara@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> To help with the decision if we should wrap long bug titles or not
>> (and where the wrap point should be), here's some data from our
>> current bug database on staging.
>> https://pastebin.canonical.com/56840/. It shows the bug title length
>> and aggregates the number of bugs with that len. By glancing over it,
>> one can see the majority of our bugs is under 66 characters.
>>
>> Maybe we could wrap over at some point under the 66 characters limit
>> and truncate if the bug has a massive bug title, which would wrap to
>> more than two lines and look very ugly.
>
> This may help a little more - https://pastebin.canonical.com/56857/
>
> It sums the total count of bugs under (and including) each row - this
> lets you see the % of our bugs under a given size without doing a
> running total internally :)
>
> If we want 95% to show without wrapping, we need 124 columns.
> 50% without wrapping needs 48 columns. 66% without needs 68 columns.

Thanks Rob and Diogo. Having data like this makes decisions easier :)

48 characters isn't that long for a bug title. 68 characters isn't either.

Huw and Orange people: what are the design compromises we'd have to
make if we wrapped bug titles after that got longer than 68
characters?

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager