lp-l10n-fr-community team mailing list archive

Re: French translation

Hi,

Le 2013-07-04 01:24, Kip Warner a écrit :
On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 22:43 +0200, Nicolas Delvaux wrote:
It works just fine here on my projects, you may be missing something.

Perhaps you should use intltool-update instead of xgettext.
You can have a look at [1] and [2] for some examples.

It's actually neither that is the problem. If I enable both
--add-comments --add-location to xgettext, both the comments and the
location are available in the message catalogue template, but I think LP
translations only shows the first line anyways (the comment).

It also displays the location.
In PO files, location strings start with "#:" and comments start with "#.", so it's easily processable by Launchpad.

AFAIK, Launchpad can process all metadata defined in the standard[1], except flags.

Also, the
--add-location can be annoying because just adding one line of white
space to a source file can change the whole message template diff, even
though nothing actually needed to change in it. I'll enable it anyways
since the code is more or less done now.

I agree that's indeed a drawback for developers who love having beautiful commits :-)

We will do what we can :-)

Thanks Nicolas. I'm not sure how different fr_CA is from fr or fr_FR,
but it might be as simple as just copying the fr message catalogue into
fr_CA and changing a few words?

In most cases, yes.
There is a dedicated fr_CA team on Launchpad[2], but it is not very active. Anyway, don't worry about that. A lot of free software only have fr_FR translations and it seems most of our Canadian friends are ok with it.

Cheers,
Nicolas

[1] http://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/gettext/manual/html_node/PO-Files.html
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-fr-ca