Re: Fw: Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

On pe, 2012-01-06 at 16:19 -0500, Steven wrote:

> I think it's also not how many people are using non-pae cpus, but
> whether or not Lubuntu is expected to be able to run on non-pae cpus.
> For example, I would expect Lubuntu to run on the 400MHz FSB Pentium M
> CPUs [2] (only the 400MHz FSB models don't support PAE [3]); in fact,
> I'd even argue that those CPUs are part of the intended audience. And
> no matter how many users there are, based off of a QA perspective, if
> I say that Lubuntu is designed for a particular kind of machine, it
> better be able to run on that machine, plain and simple.
>

> Also, the non-pae kernel is still supported in Precise. All we'd have
> to do is change the default kernel on i386.
>

> -Steven

I decided to give a shot to Lubuntu 12.04 on my testing laptop, Thinkpad
T42 with 1.7GHz Pentium M, no dice. So I take my earlier reply back as
this machine is from ~2003 or something and not even from the 90's.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_M_(Dothan)

>From that list it is easy to see models from Thinkpad lines, and those
are really used around the globe.

That technically rises the ammount of users affected.

But now I'm out to enjoy -14C winter weather with a hint of Sun shining,
happy new year from me too ;)