Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta

On 09/22/2013 07:12 PM, JM wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:36:36 +0300
> Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 09/22/2013 06:04 PM, JM wrote:
>>> I will be interested to know if by any chance that helps. I would also like to know
>>> about the specs of the machine(s) where the freeze have occurred (Motherboard, CPU,
>>> GPU particularly).
>>
>> Thanks.  For just my own machine, it is this one:
>>
>> 	http://people.ubuntu.com/~larsnooden/Hw/pike.lshw.html
>>
>> though others have different hardware I expect.  The freeze leaves no
>> trace in the log files.
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Lars
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> About logs:
> Is the distro installed or is the freeze occurring with a live ? If it is installed, is
> it possible to get the dmesg just after a reboot, and seek for the last lines just before
> the last reboot lines ?

The distro is installed, but lately I've had freezes during the
installation process.  Tomorrow, or whenever the new beta arrives, I'll
be doing installation on the machine again.  3x alternate and 3x desktop.

> hum… I'm not sure it is still possible to get the dmesg messages from the former session
> nowadays. Maybe seek for the last lines of dmesg from within a Live session?

I can't get the machine to crash on demand.

> About mac mini : isn't there something in that kind of hardware which might be (?) →
>
> Just noticed the two different kinds of CPUs : which one is in use when you boot? Can you
> setup something in the bios to select one or the other? →

The output is from lshw.  I'm not so sure how reliable that is.  It
should be registering an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU.  I'm not up on hardware
enough to know whether that is dual core or dual cpu.  But either way,
both should be the same.  Looking at /proc/cpuinfo shows that both are
the same, so I suspect that the fault is with lshw.

> ******************
> id:
> cpu:0
> product: 	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
> vendor: 	Intel Corp.
> physical id:
> 117
> bus info:
> cpu@0
> version: 	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T
> slot: 	U2E1
> size: 	1GHz
> capacity: 	1GHz
> width: 	64 bits
> clock: 	166MHz
> capabilities: 	fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
> pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx x86-64
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
> est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow cpufreq
>
> ***
>
> id:
> cpu:1
> product: 	Pentium III
> vendor: 	Intel(R) Corporation
> physical id:
> 11b
> bus info:
> cpu@1
> version: 	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T
> slot: 	U2E1
> size: 	1833MHz
> capacity: 	1833MHz
> clock: 	166MHz
> capabilities: 	cpufreq
>
> ******************
>
> That seems exotic to me. ^^
>
> What about the agpgart-intel and i915 drivers? Are they loaded once the boot
> finished ? (you could try to boot to init 3 to check, in case it's not possible to
> get a X session).

Below is the output of lsmod.  That should show all the drivers, right?
 Should I be checking immediately after boot?  It has about 9 hours of
uptime right now.

Regards,
/Lars

Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc             32701  0
ppdev                  17671  0
bnep                   19564  2
rfcomm                 69070  12
coretemp               13435  0
kvm_intel             138538  0
btusb                  28267  0
kvm                   431315  1 kvm_intel
bluetooth             371874  22 bnep,btusb,rfcomm
joydev                 17377  0
hid_appleir            13010  0
hid_generic            12548  0
applesmc               19308  0
input_polldev          13896  1 applesmc
arc4                   12608  2
usbhid                 53014  0
snd_usb_audio         149162  6
hid                   101225  3 hid_generic,usbhid,hid_appleir
snd_hda_codec_idt      50341  1
snd_usbmidi_lib        25070  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hda_intel          48171  6
ath5k                 149831  0
snd_hda_codec         188738  2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
ath                    23827  1 ath5k
snd_hwdep              13602  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
i915                  655709  2
mac80211              596969  1 ath5k
snd_pcm               102033  8 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc         18710  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_midi           13324  0
snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            30095  2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
microcode              23518  0
cfg80211              479757  3 ath,ath5k,mac80211
drm_kms_helper         52651  1 i915
snd_seq                61560  2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device         14497  3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
drm                   292643  3 i915,drm_kms_helper
snd_timer              29433  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    69141  31
snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device,snd_seq_midi
i2c_algo_bit           13413  1 i915
lpc_ich                21080  0
soundcore              12680  1 snd
video                  19318  1 i915
mac_hid                13205  0
lp                     17759  0
parport                42299  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
firewire_ohci          40060  0
firewire_core          64476  1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t              12707  1 firewire_core
sky2                   58057  0