Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta - zram and hardware

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 19:25:32 +0300
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/22/2013 07:12 PM, JM wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:36:36 +0300
> > Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Thanks.  For just my own machine, it is this one:
> >>
> >> 	http://people.ubuntu.com/~larsnooden/Hw/pike.lshw.html
> >>
> >> though others have different hardware I expect.  The freeze leaves no
> >> trace in the log files.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> /Lars
> >
> > Hi Lars,
> >
> > About logs:
> > Is the distro installed or is the freeze occurring with a live ? If it is installed,
> > is it possible to get the dmesg just after a reboot, and seek for the last lines just
> > before the last reboot lines ?
>
> The distro is installed, but lately I've had freezes during the
> installation process.  Tomorrow, or whenever the new beta arrives, I'll
> be doing installation on the machine again.  3x alternate and 3x desktop.
>
> > hum… I'm not sure it is still possible to get the dmesg messages from the former
> > session nowadays. Maybe seek for the last lines of dmesg from within a Live session?
>
> I can't get the machine to crash on demand.

Of course, this would be just after one of these random crashes.

> > About mac mini : isn't there something in that kind of hardware which might be (?) →
> >
> > Just noticed the two different kinds of CPUs : which one is in use when you boot? Can
> > you setup something in the bios to select one or the other? →
>
> The output is from lshw.  I'm not so sure how reliable that is.

I have considered lshw very reliable so far. Have you started it with the admin rights?
(sudo lshw).

What does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" return ?

>  It should be registering an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU.  I'm not up on hardware
> enough to know whether that is dual core or dual cpu.  But either way,
> both should be the same.  Looking at /proc/cpuinfo shows that both are
> the same, so I suspect that the fault is with lshw.

lshw shows a core duo and a pentium III.
…

→ Could you check in the BIOS to see if there is an additional PIII CPU showing
and enabled? (And if so if it could be disabled)

→→ This is your machine:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html

(found from this list: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html )

******************
> > id:
> > cpu:0
> > product: 	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz
> > vendor: 	Intel Corp.
> > physical id:
> > 117
> > bus info:
> > cpu@0
> > version: 	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T
> > slot: 	U2E1
> > size: 	1GHz
> > capacity: 	1GHz
> > width: 	64 bits
> > clock: 	166MHz
> > capabilities: 	fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
> > mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
> > nx x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64
> > monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow cpufreq

***

******************

> > That seems exotic to me. ^^
> >
> > What about the agpgart-intel and i915 drivers? Are they loaded once the boot
> > finished ? (you could try to boot to init 3 to check, in case it's not possible to
> > get a X session).

> Below is the output of lsmod.  That should show all the drivers, right?
>  Should I be checking immediately after boot?  It has about 9 hours of
> uptime right now.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
(...)
> i915                  655709  2
(...)

It does not show agpgart-intel and after a fast search in Lubuntu vbox, in my own
Archlinux box and on the web it seems not to be provided anywhere anymore.

I don't quite see how zram would interfere with the GPU abilities. Are you
considering trying the values I have pointed to in the last mail here ? "Date: Sun, 22
Sep 2013 17:04:13 +0200"

Regards,
Mélodie