Re: MariaDB + PBXT

Stewart, thanks for providing this procedure!

Nice to know that this method with renaming to common paths and merging can
work.

Paul McCullagh <paul.mccullagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> So to correct this I will have to redo the integration of PBXT is into
> MariaDB.

Yes, I think we should re-do the merge with this tracking of history and
merging.

I spent some time today playing with this technique, as I would like to be
really sure that we have a good base for working with the PBXT code in the
future, and also I would like to use the same technique for merging XtraDB.

So I created a MariaDB tree with the PBXT merge re-done using Stewart's
technique, taking some care to get everything done correctly to smooth the
future work.

If you want to use it as-is, I write the exact commands I used below if you
want to do something similar for Drizzle. If you want to re-do it yourself to
tweak it or control things fully, that is perfectly fine with me as
well. Whatever works best for you.

Just let me know if you want me to push this tree to MariaDB, or prepare
another tree for me to merge.

I put my merged tree here:

    lp:~knielsen/maria/mariadb-5.1-pbxt-merge-new

Note that this tree is identical source-wise with the existing lp:maria tree,
just the history now includes all of the PBXT changesets so history and merges
can be tracked as per Stewarts method. So this does not include newest PBXT
yet, just PBXT up to revision 608
(revid:paul.mccullagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-20090402202852-wa2fbcmrdy7gda2f).

I did a quick test merge of newest PBXT just to check things, and it seems to
work well. Most changes automerged. For deleted/renamed/newly added files, a
conflict is flagged that must be resolved manually. Changes to files in PBXT
that are omitted from the MariaDB source (COPYING, README, etc) also are
flagged as a conflict that needs to be resolved. This is to be expected.

I did see some wierd stuff in some testing. Eg. the `bzr diff` of my merge
changeset is not empty as expected, rather it shows one diff removing a file
and another identical (but reverse) diff adding that file back. I also saw a
strange bzr error message in one case of testing merge. I guess we are
(ab)using some uncommon corners of bzr here, but hopefully any problems/bug in
bzr can be fixed.

One think I wonder is what to do with the PBXT test suite in
mysql-test/suite/pbxt/. In my merge I merged it into place with `bzr mv` so
that merge tracking and history is kept. However, I don't know how well this
will work for .result files, as I guess they are going to differ between
MariaDB, Drizzle, and MySQL? Not 100% sure how we will deal with this. Could
be that .result files cannot be meaningfully merged automatically. In any
case, I think this is a usable starting point, and we can refine the .result
handling later as we understand better how to do it. Just let me know if you
think otherwise.

Here are the exact commands I did to make the merge:

  bzr branch -r'revid:paul.mccullagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-20090402202852-wa2fbcmrdy7gda2f' pbxt tmp-pbxt-rename
  cd tmp-pbxt-rename/
  bzr co
  bzr mkdir storage
  bzr mkdir storage/pbxt
  bzr mv `ls|grep -v storage` storage/pbxt/
  bzr commit -m"Move all PBXT files into storage/pbxt/ in preparation for merging into MariaDB."
  cd ..
  bzr branch -r'revid:paul.mccullagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-20090407105746-tolv5dita1d3eavm' mariadb-5.1 tmp-mariadb-pbxt-merge
  cd tmp-mariadb-pbxt-merge/
  bzr co
  bzr merge ../tmp-pbxt-rename -r0..-1
  bzr mv storage storage.new
  bzr mv storage.moved storage
  bzr rm storage/pbxt
  bzr rm mysql-test/suite/pbxt/t
  bzr rm mysql-test/suite/pbxt/r
  bzr mv storage.new/pbxt/test/mysql-test/t mysql-test/suite/pbxt/t
  bzr mv storage.new/pbxt/test/mysql-test/r mysql-test/suite/pbxt/r
  bzr mv storage.new/pbxt storage/pbxt
  bzr rm --force storage.new
  # bzr rm + manual patch. Applying same changes done manually in previous PBXT merge.
  bzr resolved storage
  bzr ci -m "Re-merge PBXT into MariaDB to get proper history and merge tracking."
  cd ..
  bzr branch mariadb-5.1 mariadb-5.1-pbxt-merge-new
  cd mariadb-5.1-pbxt-merge-new
  bzr co
  bzr merge ../tmp-mariadb-pbxt-merge
  bzr ci -m "Pull new/improved PBXT merge into latest MariaDB trunk."

So I used the revisions of MariaDB and PBXT that were also used to do the
original merge. And I manually applied the same changes in the merge that you
apparently did in your original merge of PBXT into MariaDB, mainly deleting
some files like COPYING, configure.in, removing a number of non-pbxt test
cases, and fixing some .result files.

So I hope this will be a good base for future merging, with this it should be
possible for either PBXT or MariaDB people to pull latest from PBXT into
MariaDB without either getting in the way of the other. And it should be quite
useful to us to have PBXT history available if debugging etc.

Any comments welcome.

> On May 11, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Stewart Smith wrote:

>> With BZR you can merge two trees without a common ancestor. This is
>> useful for things like storage engines, file systems, so when they're
>> merged, you can bring the whole revision history in.
>>
>> This is how I did it for PBXT and Drizzle:
>>
>> bzr branch lp:drizzle drizzle-pbxt
>> bzr branch lp:pbxt pbxt
>> bzr branch pbxt pbxt-rename
>> pushd pbxt-rename
>> mkdir storage/pbxt
>
> Is this correct, or should it be bzr mkdir storage/pbxt?

I used `bzr mkdir`, got an error from bzr otherwise.

>> bzr merge ../pbxt-rename -r1..-1
>> (fix up a conflict on storage/ or something... pretty easy, this is
>> just
>> done so that auto merges happen on file ops in main pbxt)

I used -r0..-1 (not sure if it makes a difference?). And above log shows how I
resolved the conflicts.